Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vienna

I arrived in Vienna on Saturday morning, a family staying at the Adam farm was heading up to the Vienna zoo and I got a ride with them.
Since arriving we have seen so many things, I can't keep track of what happened each day!

We walked around downtown Vienna, went to the NaschMarkt and flea market(I was excited for it but, it was more like a big garage sale where everyone was selling their old junk! It was more exciting to see what other people were finding interesting, that getting anything for myself.)
The NaschMarkt is kind of like Pike Place market, with a bunch of permenate stands selling produce, olives, fish, meat, cheese, wine. We got some dried fruit beacuse it looked so good and a woman kept giving us samples. Yum!

We went to a beach bar on the river, where they had brought in sand. Fun!

We saw all the major buildings downtown; the City Hall, Heldenplatz, the museums, the University, the parliment and the secession.

We went back to the City hall building on Sunday night, they have food stands from around the world and show operas, symphonies, plays and other concerts. That night we watched Europakonzert of Mozart, Bruch and Beethoven. We had drinks and dinner first from the stands then took a seat to watch. It was really fun! and it was surprisingly crowded!

We also went to Kahlenberg where you can look down the hill and see all of Vienna.

Then we went to the SeeGrotte, an underground cave where they use to mine gypsum and later used to film The 3 Muskateers and build airplanes during WWII before it was flooded in 1912.
Now it's a tourist attraction. You can walk through the upper caves and then go down below to take boat through the grotte. It was interesting and Irene helped translate what the tour guide said.

Then she took me a strange restaurant that has the best Weiner Snitchzel. It was good, but it was bigger than my head!

We went to the cementary where Beethoven, Strauss, Brahms and many other famous Vienitians are buried. It is a huge cementary and we only saw a tiny bit!

While she is at work, I get to hang out in her apartment, I've been watching Queer as Folk season one, and it's so good, I don't want to leave to go sightsee! haha
I have also posted lots of photos on Picasa, and you can see photos from everything I've been talking about there, just use the link for Pletvice Lakes below!

I have had a lot of fun staying with Irene, I hope she comes to visit Seattle again soon, I know my mom would love to see her!
Well Irene and I have been having a lot of fun! I almost don't want to leave. And I'm getting excited to getting home, but no about looking for a job. So I want to make the most of the time I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment